Ever since the COVID-19 crisis surfaced, hand sanitizer sales have surged! In fact, they even went out of stock in some major retail outlets across the country. While consumers are flocking to stores to buy hand sanitizers, you’re probably wondering what makes alcohol-based sanitizers so effective.
Read on to find out:
Why does alcohol content matter?
No matter what hand sanitizer brand you pick up, you’ll notice that the packaging comprises a label of the gel’s percentage alcohol content. Should the alcohol content affect your purchase decision? In a word, yes.
The alcohol content is a way to tell whether your sanitizer will effectively disinfect or not. According to a report by the CDC, alcohol-based sanitizers greatly reduce the number of microbes on a surface by killing them. This is not the case with simple soap and water.
The CDC also recommends using alcohol-based sanitizers that contain at least 60% alcohol. Most sanitizer gels have alcohol concentrations that fall between 60–95%. The higher the percentage, the more effective your sanitizer will be.
An alcohol-free sanitizer, on the other hand, will only clean your hands and not necessarily kill microbes.
How to Use an Alcohol-Based Hand Sanitizer the Right Way
The CDC recommends washing your hands as frequently as you can. However, if water and soap are not available, an alcohol-based sanitizer is your next best alternative.
Here’s how you can use it right:
- If your hands are visibly dirty or greasy, don’t use a sanitizer gel right away. This will affect the efficacy of the sanitizer. You should always wash or wipe clean your hands before pouring the gel on your palm.
- Apply a generous amount. Make sure you’ve taken out enough to cover and wet the entire palm.
- Rub your hands together vigorously to make sure the gel covers your hands.
- Focus on the spaces between the fingers and inside the nails. These are known to be hotbeds for microbial growth.
- Keep on rubbing the hands for at least 25 seconds.
Place your order today
Given the times we’re living in, sanitization has become more important than ever. This is why it’s recommended to buy hand sanitizers in bulk to be on top of your hand cleanliness routine.
You could station a hand sanitizer dispenser right at your home’s entrance, so no one walks in without cleaning their hands first. You could also place them in every room and table in the house to get your family to use them more frequently.
Safety 1st PPE is taking orders now. Other than hand sanitizers, we also provide PPE, masks, disinfectants, and nitrile gloves. Start shopping here.